Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Mr. Fox


I am wrapping up my year with another repeat client.  This has to be one of the sweetest couples I have ever met in my entire life.  They were such an awesome team during their first birth, and it was a true joy to watch them welcome their second child earlier today. 

This time around mom had gestational diabetes and opted for an induction at 40 weeks.  I never know what to expect with inductions as some can take a few hours, and others can easily take two or more days.  The state of the cervix really contributes to how well an induction goes, and this mom was already 4 cm this morning when she went in for her induction.  A great way to start!

Pitocin was started around 8:30 am, and since the baby was low and head was fully engaged, they opted to also break the water around 10:30 am.  We kept in touch over text throughout the day.  It sounds like dad was a great support, walking the halls and offering encouragement.  I arrived at 1:30 and found mom in the tub.  I could tell her contractions were intense, but she was coping amazingly well.  Breathing slowly and maintaining control, just like she did last time.  

Things continued to intensify with every contraction, and I really hoped she was progressing.  (It's so hard to know with an induction!)  At 2:20 mom was checked and was 10 cm!  The nurses quickly ran into action, preparing to catch this baby if necessary.  

Her doctor arrived just in time, and at 2:31 pm Fox slipped into his father's hands! 
I wish I could post the pictures, but they are too graphic.  :)  


I love this photo.  This mom was so overcome with emotion.


Seriously. So. Much. Love.


Fox weighed in at 9 pounds 4 ounces.  About half a pound lighter than his big brother.



This lady is as beautiful as she is strong.  It is rare to see a natural delivery with an induction, but it can be doable (especially with that favorable cervix).  I wish every induction could go this well!

No comments:

Post a Comment